The win marks the 15th consecutive SEC-opener that Georgia (7-1, 1-0) has won. With the loss, Tennessee falls to 2-5.
“It’s always good getting that 1-0 lead with the doubles point,” said head coach Jeff Wallace. “Then in singles the three freshmen lost just nine games between all of them and just did unbelievable. It’s always great to start SEC play with a win on the road. Overall, it was a great day.”
Georgia began the day by winning the doubles point. Tennessee’s Caitlyn Williams and Joanna Henderson gave the Volunteers an early advantage when they beat 34th-ranked Maho Kowase and Lilly Kimbell, 8-2. Georgia responded when ninth-ranked Kate Fuller and Silvia Garcia upended Tennessee’s fifth-ranked duo of Brynn Boren and Kata Szekely, 8-5. Fuller and Garcia remain undefeated with a 9-0 record. Georgia clinched the point when the freshmen pairing of Mia King and Makenzie Craft beat Sarah Toti and Mimi Fotopoulos, 8-5. It was the first time that King and Craft have teamed up this season.
In singles, Tennessee evened the score 21st-ranked Boren beat Georgia’s ninth-ranked Herring, 6-2, 6-3. The loss is only Herring’s fourth of the year. Garcia put Georgia back up 2-1 with a 6-1, 6-2 defeat of Tennessee’s Williams. Garcia is now 10-1 and the winner of five straight matches. Shortly later, Craft beat Tiffany Tavares, 6-3, 6-1. Craft improves to 3-1 in dual matches this season. King picked up second clinch of the season with a 6-2, 6-0 defeat of Tennessee’s Mimi Fotopoulos.
With the match outcome decided, Fuller, ranked 116th in the country, outlasted Joanna Henderson for a three-set 6-3, 4-6, 6-0 win. Fuller improves to 18-4 this season. Kowase, ranked 15th nationally, ended the afternoon with 6-4, 2-6, 1-0 (10-4) win over UT’s 43rd-ranked Szekely.
Georgia improves to 41-9 all-time against Tennessee.
Georgia returns home to face Ole Miss on Friday at 4:00 p.m. The match will be held at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex and admission will be free.
1. #21 Brynn Boren(UT) def. #9 Lauren Herring (UGA) 6-2, 6-3
2. #15 Maho Kowase (UGA) def. #43 Kata Szekely (UT) 6-4, 2-6, 1-0 (10-4)
3. #97 Silvia Garcia (UGA) def. Caitlyn Williams (UT) 6-1, 6-2
4. #116 Kate Fuller (UGA) def. Joanna Henderson (UT) 6-3, 4-6, 6-0
5. Mia King (UGA) def. Mimi Fotopoulos (UT) 6-2, 6-0
6. Makenzie Craft (UGA) def. Tiffany Tavares (UT) 6-3, 6-1
1. #9 Kate Fuller/Silvia Garcia (UGA) def. #5 Brynn Boren/Kata Szekely (UT) 8-5
2. Joanna Henderson/Caitlyn Williams (UT) def. #34 Lilly Kimbell/Maho Kowase (UGA) 8-2
3. Mia King/Makenzie Craft (UGA) def. Sarah Toti/Mimi Fotopoulos (UT) 8-4
Follow Danny Bishop on Twitter @DBishop101