Georgia Bulldogs Killed by Turnovers as Georgia Tech Ends Losing Streak


The No. 9 Georgia Bulldogs and No. 16 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets played another close one, that probably shouldn’t have been that close.

Georgia has lived by taking the ball away from teams all season, but in the regular season finale against Georgia Tech, it was turnovers that cost them the game.

More from Georgia Football

Two fumbles at the goal line cost the Bulldogs 14 points, and was the difference in the game, as the Bulldogs fought back hard but couldn’t come up with enough as Georgia Tech topped the Bulldogs 30-24 in first ever overtime game played at Sanford Stadium.

Nick Chubb got things started in a big way for the Dawgs, but after fumbling at the 1-yard line, he didn’t look like the same back, being held to just 20 yards in the second half, and not really making his way into the second level of the Georgia Tech defense at all. Sony Michel dropped the ball just as he was about to cross the goal line later in the game.

The game certainly didn’t lack for excitement or twists, including three blocked kicks (two by UGA and one by GT) and a successful fake field goal by the Bulldogs.

But if you watched the two teams, it wasn’t hard to guess which one had something more to play for beyond this game, and which one was just finishing out the season and waiting to see which oh-well-bowl they were invited to play.

Georgia’s defense spent nearly the entire second half on the field, and by the end of the fourth quarter it showed, as Tech was moving the ball seemingly at will on the ground.

But when the fourth quarter rolls around, it always seems like a Georgia Tech quarterback becomes Georgia’s 12th man, and this time it was Justin Thomas simply dropping the ball in front of two Georgia defenders on a pump fake. Watching the Bulldogs drive down the field with renewed vigor, it seemed as though this game was in their pocket.

Georgia scored to go up 24-21, and only left the Yellow Jackets 18 seconds to get the job done.

But that was all they needed.

A Justin Thomas 21-yard scramble, a Harrison Butker 53-yard field goal as time expired, and suddenly we were headed to overtime.

Georgia Tech did what they had done the entire second half, and handed the ball to Zach Laskey, who pounded and pounded until the Yellow Jackets were up by six, but a blocked extra point seemed to be (again) just the gift from Georgia Tech that was needed.

But the Jackets’ defense stood their ground, and the last Georgia turnover of the day was the killer, as Hutson Mason threw an ill-advised pass into heavy coverage which was intercepted by D.J. White.

And just like that, the streak was over.

Georgia Tech’s first win since 2008, and the revenge for last year’s double overtime loss were complete.

The 9-3 Bulldogs now must just wait for their bowl invitation, which will likely now not be one of the New Years Six bowls, while Georgia Tech will play FSU in the ACC Championship and possibly even move further on in the postseason.