SEC Network Takeovers are days devoted to a different SEC team. On July 21, fans of the Georgia Bulldogs can enjoy a full day of just UGA content.
Georgia fans, make sure you don’t have anything going on July 21. or at least make sure you have plenty of space on your DVR. The Georgia Bulldogs are taking over the SEC Network. Not just a four-hour or eight-hour block either. 24 hours of glory, glory to ole Georgia.
The UGA Takeover begins at midnight with the 1981 Sugar Bowl against Notre Dame. If you have never watched the game, now’s your chance. It’s one of the most significant games in program history. Georgia football defeated the Fighting Irish night to end the year 12-0 and no. 1 overall in the Associated Press Top-25.
- 2 am, you can watch the Georgia basketball play North Carolina in the 1983 Regional Semifinal. That is the biggest win in Georgia basketball history as the Bulldogs defeated a Michael Jordan lead Tar Heel team to advance to the Final Four.
- 4 am there will be a thirty minute documentary about the University of Georgia Campus in Costa Rica titled “Vamos Perros Costa Rica.” The rest of that hour will be a showing of the Georgia Spring Football Show.
- 5 am: Beneath the Helmet, a short biography about a current Georgia football player.
- 6 am: Best of the Bulldogs.
More from Dawn of the Dawg
- UGA basketball: Michael Peake departure makes size an even bigger problem
- UGA football: The best games between Auburn’s Pat Dye and Georgia’s Vince Dooley
- UGA football: JT Daniels transfer the latest in Georgia’s poaching of southern California
- UGA football: Dylan Fairchild fills a huge need in the 2021 recruiting class
- UGA football: Legendary player, head coach Pat Dye has passed away
- From 7 am to 11 am, you can enjoy all four SEC Storied episodes featuring the Bulldogs starting with “Dominique Belongs to Us.” Then “Sarah and Suzanne” and “Herschel Walker” and ending with “Miracle 3”
“Dominique Belongs to Us” is about the life of Dominique Wilkins, his journey to Georgia and adopting Georgia as his home. “Sarah and Suzanne” is about the rivalry between Georgia Gymnastics coach Suzanne Yoculan and Alabama coach Sarah Patterson.
“Herschel Walker” goes without saying. It’s a biography of Walker’s life focusing on mostly his childhood and time at Georgia. “Miracle 3” is about the 2008 SEC men’s Basketball Tournament that featured a tornado, venue change and a bad Georgia team winning the SEC Championship.
- The focus remains on basketball at 11 am with the Bulldogs upset win over Kentucky in 2011. Wins over the Wildcats are rare so it’ll be great to relive this one.
- From 1 pm to 5, SEC Rewind shows two of the most dramatic wins in Georgia football history.
First in the 1996 game against Auburn, the first overtime game in SEC History. Mike Bobo led Georgia on a comeback after falling behind 28-7 at halftime. After a last second touchdown to tie the game, Georgia defeated Auburn on the road after four overtimes.
Afterwards, you can watch the 1980 game against Florida where Buck Belue connected with Lindsay Scott for a 75-yard touchdown pass to win the game and stay undefeated.
- From 5-to-8 you can rewatch Beneath the Helmet, Best of the Bulldogs, “Vamos Perros Costa Rica” and the Georgia Spring Football Show.
- The night ends with a pair of great Georgia football games.
First is the 1982 game against Clemson. A revenge game to open the season. Clemson snapped Georgia’s long win-streak the year before en route to a national title. Georgia returned the favor with a 13-7 win.
The Georgia Takeover ends with last years defensive domination of the Auburn Tigers. That game is still fresh in the memories of every Georgia fan. After allowing Auburn to breeze downfield to score early in the game, Georgia shut down Auburn the rest of the way. Georgia didn’t even allow Auburn to get a first down in the second half.
You can find the SEC Network on channel 408 if you have Dish, 611 on DirecTV, 607,1607HD on AT&T U-Verse and 75/575 on Verizon Fios.